Bawil Agha Mosque, Rawandiz~ Erbil south of Kurdistan

مزگه‌وتی كۆنی شاری رواندز(باویل ئاغا)له‌ شاری رواندز.له‌ ئێستادا ئه‌م مزگه‌وته‌ بونی نه‌ ماوه‌
Source:Site Kurdistan ART
Photo By RebazOmar


Kifri Qaysari ~south of Kurdistan

Kaysari is the Kurdish word for market. The Kaysary of Kifri was built in the 19th¬century, with a lot of shops and many warehouses (Khan) such as :Coal Khan and Wheat Khan known as Mala Abbas Khan. Recently, groups of beautiful -building units have been inaugurated in the Kaysari.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan


Yak Mughara


This cave, in a rocky canal shape, is situated 1Km east of Kifri town. It is deep and one of Bawashaswar stony hills.

Bawashaswar manmade Caves

Made in the early centuries AD and sculptured in rectangular shapes with technical designs, a group of small handmade caves are located north and northeast of Kifri town on Bawashaswar stony hills in which some graves are found.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan


Sherwana Citadel~ south of Kurdistan


It is situated at the entrance of Kalar town from the northeast direction and adds beauty to the scene of the town. Sherwana Citadel was built by Muhammad Pasha Jaf for the purpose of tribe management and also as his own residence. It consists of a basement, 2 floors, an octagonal hall, and a small museum.

Majeed Pasha Palace


Situated east Kifry town and established by Majeed Pasha Qadir Beg at the end of the 19th century, the Palace consists of two floors, some rooms, and a guest hall.

Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan


Pasha Palace(Mahmud Pasha jaf)


This palace sits in Tazadai village 9 Km northeast Kalar town. This two-floor historic sight, in a mansion-like design, was built by Mahmood Pasha Jaff in 1895. North of the palace, a rectangular building is seen which was used as a storehouse and a horse, mule barn. On the south of the palace and on a high land, a small building with few rooms could be seen.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Charmo Ancient Village

The ruins of this ancient agricultural village sit east of Chamchamall town, considered as one of the oldest agricultural villages in history dating back to about (7000) BC., during the new stone age. A research team from Chicago University (1948-1955) had found agricultural stony equipment and stony household tools as well as remains of grain foods, and bones of wild animals within this location.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Quldar Mill of Kifri ~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan

This mill is situated north of Kifri town and to the north of Bawashaswar cemetery. The mill consists of a tower with 2 rooSource:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan
ms; one of them is used for grinding wheat.

RUINS AND OTHER HISTORICAL SITES of AMEDIYA ~ Duhok south of Kurdistan


Amediya is a small and beautiful town that is perched on the plateau at the top of a mountain. It is situated 90 kilometers northeast of Duhok City. It was built over 1000 years ago and is still home to 5000 inhabitants today. Many of the houses are still built with elements of the original stonework and are arranged in a ring shape in the form of a Citadel. There are many ancient sites inside the town, such as an ancient mosque that is still in use by the townspeople and the Old Gate of the town that was used for centuries before the car-friendly road was built into the town. The Minaret, the Dome, and the Zoroastrian’s Gate are also worth a visit.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Akrei Citadel ~ Duhok south of Kurdistan

The Citadel lies in the northern part of Akra town, 450 m above ground level. It was built by prince Zand 580 BC on top of a high mountain.The citadel is four pillared of 110m each. It consists of several floors; the upper floor is known as the prince’s residence, the middle was used as food storage room, and the basement consists of a round meeting hall and a flat rock in the middle. Also, there is water well and an eagle-like room which is called the jail. The rooms are wide and were built in geometrical shapes. 
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Sculptures of Gundik Cave


Gundik village is 20 Kms to the west of Akrei town embracing its cave which is 50 meters high and with an opening 50 meters wide. There are sculptures of two humans and some animals carved on the outer wall of the cave, inside, another sculpture is seen carved in the same way.

Khns Inscriptions & Sculptures (King Sanhareb’s resort)



Situated (13) Km north east of Shaikhan town the site is also known as King Sanharib’s resort located within a valley having a lovely pure water stream and overlooked by a chain of mountains, carved on the mountain several statues and sculptures can be seen as well as a number of caves. Furthermore it is a picnic area.

Sculptures of Halamta Cave~ Duhok south of Kurdistan


It is a historical cave situated (7) Kms to the west of Duhok city in front of Kifrki village. The cave consists of (4) parts in which drawings of humans and animals are carved representing victory of the Assyrians in a battle during the reign of king Sanhareb (704-681) BC.

Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Chami Razan Caves


They consist of several caves one km far from “Pavel waterfall”. The largest cave faces the west, its opening alike to “Shanadar” cave, it gets larger as much you go inside.
In 1961 it was utilized as a HQ for the Kurdish Revolutionary Leadership and its radio broadcast (Voice of Kurdistan), later it was also used for the same purpose during the new revolution.

Zirzi Cave~south of Kurdistan

This cave is situated in front of Zirzi Village on the foot of Kunakotir Mountain. The entrance is semicircular of 8m long * 8m wide. It dates back to stone ages where ancient man lived. In 1928, the cave had been explored by Dorothy A.E. Garrod, who discovered some stony tools and animal bones.
Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Palagawra Caves ~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


Three caves are set into the foot of a mountain in the Bazyan area. They are known as the Palagawra Caves and are though to have been the homes of the ancient people living in the region thousands of years ago.

Source:Official Site of General Board of Tourism of Kurdistan

Hazar Merd Cave ~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


M: Means the cave of 1000 men. It is (13) Kms to the west of Sulaimani city. From the historical point of view “Hazar Merd” Cave is considered the 2nd oldest cave in Kurdistan. Several remnants were found in the cave dating back to (50,000) years BC.

Jasana Cave~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


This cave is about 50 Kms west of Sulaimani city within Surdash area on the Sulaimani – Dukan highway. It is located behind Kani Khan village on the foot of a big mountain. 
On 3/2/1923 the British army bombarded Sulaimani city by aircraft during their conflict with King Mahmood who was forced to leave Sulaimani and move to Surdash area making “Jasana Cave” his Headquarters and safe haven, this cave also witnessed the issuance of the first edition of “Bangi Haq” newspaper meaning (Call for Truth, or Call for Justice) through the press that was brought over to the site. 

Sartka Cetadel


In Qashqoli area, where a river comes up the Dukan Dam, we see a standing castle on top of a hill on the other bank of the river overlooking the river and the mat booths. This castle was built by Prince Muhammad, Prince of Soran (1813 – 1837) and still keeps some of its structure as the walls and some rooms.

Ga ~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


Ga'war strait relief is situated 45kms to the south of Sulaimani city within Goshan valley in Qaradagh area. The sculptures are about (4000) years old, the site also embraces the statue of the Akkadian King Naramsin.

Qzqaban Excavation ~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


The excavation site is seven meters up from the foot of the Qzqaban Mountain, where 50 meters west from Sulaimani City. The ancient site contains the remains of hall, three rooms, and several graves.

Historical remains of Bazyan Strait~ Sulaymaniyah south of Kurdistan


The remains of an old renovated citadel as well as the Strait Gate exist 1 Km from Leader Rock. Today – through a project – the area is converted into a tourist area where a wall, a statue of King Mahmood, and some places for visitor-recreation were built.